Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sundance Yellow

I mentioned a while back that I hoped to paint our front door yellow. And I did. But first, let me show you the sadness that was our front door:




Besides the fact that we never painted it when we first moved in (welllll over a year ago), it was beat up and dingy looking.

Once I decided on yellow for the front door (chances are I would have chosen blue or green, but M told me if I painted one more thing blue, he'd go nutso), I went on over to Benjamin Moore's website to just peek at what they had going on. I don't really know why, because ultimately, I would decide in the store or take home some paint samples, but I guess I was excited. Upon my very first glance at all the yellows on their website, my eyes jumped to one specific color - Sundance.


I wanted something with a lot of pop, as I usually stick to neutrals or light blues. I wanted to take a step outside of my comfort zone, and I think this knocked it out of the park.
When I actually went to our local Ace Hardware (they're the closest that carries BM paint) Sundance just looked SO bright. And I'm very well known in my family and with friends as having a magical talent for picking out horrible paint colors. I always have a look in mind, but manage to pick out a color so far off of what I envisioned, it's actually laughable (imagine my vision of a "hint of lemon and lime" as being a beautiful pale yellow paired with a nice pale, complimenting green. Only to walk into what could only be described as Austin Powers' "eternally awake room" because the brightness literally reflected off of every wall and was even glaring in complete darkness). 
In the end, after considering a few others, even basing one choice off of name alone (Delilah, love it), I decided to stick with trusty Sundance. I reminded myself it was just a door and if my gut choice was wrong, I could just repaint it easily.
I painted the door on a morning when the Goose decided to take his first nap super early (like 8am),  which also happened to be the hottest day of the year, lucky for me. Believe me when I tell you my first strokes of paint were drying before I was halfway done with the first coat...which in total took only 10 minutes (that's 5 minutes for all you mathematicians out there). I added a second coat to be sure to get a nice coating. Within 45 minutes, I had a completely dry, beautiful new door. And I luuurrvve it. I actually think I nailed the color. M isn't quite as in love, but I told him he could repaint it if he wanted (cuz I know he would want to, but never actually would, for a few reasons - one of which is to keep me happy).
I may or may not have also whipped up a cute wreath to match/ coordinate with our new door. I pretty much followed these DIY steps I found by googling, with few changes. Honestly, easy as pie. I know these wreaths are pretty trendy within the interwebz world, but I've seriously had my eye on one of these for over 2 years now, so ha.

Without further ado: voila! 
Door AND wreath...



Like? Dislike?

No comments:

Post a Comment