Thursday, August 30, 2012

Planning: Car Party

I promised it, and look at me! Coming through on a promised post.

I wen't back and forth on whether to do a music-themed or a car-themed party. Cars won out because he just doesn't seem to get tired of them. He especially loves the little and medium sized metal cars we pick up at the local pharmacies. Anytime we go to a park or the beach he's always trying to swipe other kids' cars. Kid has a musical inclination and loves to dance and sing, but he's simply obsessed with cars, wheels, trains and any moving object, really. Cars it is.

I'll try to move this along (less words, more pictures) and show you my "Pinspiration", and what I'm specifically planning. Like last year's party, I'm sure I won't get to all my planned ideas, but I'm hoping to get at least most of them. I've kept the colors to navy blue and orange, though I'll also be using a lot of kraft paper and burlap, so I'm hoping to go for a bit of a vintage feel with pops of navy and orange (the Goose's colors, at least in our house). We'll decorate with streamers, balloons, lanterns and some fabric pennants. Let's get the planning started...


via
How simple but "statement" making is this? Black plastic tablecloth roll taped to the floors with yellow duct tape lane lines? A must, the roll and duct tape is already ordered. And what's a big road without a car? I've been saving medium-large boxes and plan on making some cute cars for the kids to throw on and "drive" around in.



via
Love those Rice Krispie traffic signs. I thought at first of doing these, but then thought they might be cute as graham crackers with nutella/frosting - a few less steps than making rice krispie treats.



 
via
Adorable. Simple. Done. I also hope to make chocolate covered pretzels for "dipsticks".



via
Easy. PB&J or whatever assortment. Maybe grilled cheese too. Have the cookie cutter, along with two or three more car shapes.


via
These are too cute. These are a must as well. Pulled pork/chicken in hero/sub rolls - easy to make in a crock pot and a few minutes cutting the bread. I think I'll try to also do something similar with hot dogs for the kids, along with homemade chicken nuggests (no theme there). We'll also have adult food that won't be car themed (think 6ft hero or sandwich/wrap party platter)


via
I love the idea of setting up a "Feuling Station". Drink dispensers, jugs, juices, water bottles. However it's done, it's cute.


We'll definitely have cupcakes and a small birthday cake, along with my famous chocolate chip cookies wrapped in cute kraft baggies. Of course, there are so many more adorable ideas out there, but I was trying to limit myself to what I think I could easily handle. I'll be making almost all the food, and some of the snacks. The decorating will probably be done a little before the day of, but mostly the setup and decorating will be done the day of. Being that I'm a procrastinator and am usually CLEANING the day of the party, I have to mentally force myself to clean in the days before (even though I'll be working), and also do some prep. I cannot procrastinate. I CANNOT procrastinate. The real kicker at this point is the invitations. Haven't picked them out or made them yet. I'm leaning towards making them, mostly because of time contstraints. We're looking at a little over a month away.

We'll hand out favor bags with snacks, crayons, bubbles and small wooden cars for each kid to decorate. And we'll probably plan for some low key activities, if any at all. I'm thinking red light green light 123, maybe set up a craft table?

So that's about it. I'm sure this will evolve into something a little different as time goes by.

PS: Did I mention that we'll also be doing a small party section and hosting some folks for our city's annual Irish Day...the very same day? Yes, we've decided to have our son's b-day party on a day when our friends (and sometimes us) and other adults normally get drunk and debaucherous and take over our town. We figured that way our friends without kids won't feel obligated to stay for the kiddie events, but they'll atleast have more of a reason to stop by, other than out of obligation. None of my friends have kids, or are even married. So while they love the Goose to pieces, I won't torture them by making them stay at my house for the length of a kiddie party. And if they do, they will at least have some Irish Car bombs to keep them company. Entertaining the crowds in two different way folks. We party hard, x's 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment