Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Party Planning

And by party, I mean partIES. We have two of them coming up that we're hosting.

Our town's "halfway to St. Patty's Day" parade is coming up and it's a big day around here. Irish day, it's called, brings out all the crazies that go nuts for St. Patty's, and then some. Our town is overflowing with blond haired-blue eyed Irish lads and lasses and most of our friends/family have at least a little Irish in them (I'm 100%, thankyouverymuch). We're planning an open house of sorts, where some will stop by and booze/eat then head out to the local bars and pubs, and others will stay with their kids and be losers with us (aka, parents). I haven't done a damn thing yet but order a bunch of decorations and stuff online, but I'm showing you some Pinspiration (that's Pinterest inspiration, if you're wondering) and things that I may or may not have ordered (it may or may not be all of the below) and things that I plan on doing.

Blarney Stone Cookies     via

Car Bomb Cake Balls      via

Green Layer Cake      via

Green Poms       via

Lentils        via

DIY Shamrock Chips        via
Green Cupcake liners      via

Shamrock Confetti       via

love this, but a bit too pricey for me. Will try to DIY
via

There will also (hopefully, according to plan) be corned beef, stuffed cabbage, pizza puffs and possibly 2 chick-fil-a party platters (but Chick-fil-a is scarce in NY so it's really me dreaming - oh, yeah, I'm obsessed with chick-fil-a). If not, something else for the kiddos. And since it's an all day party, we'll also have bagels...green bagels. Our town is NO JOKE with Irish day. We take it seriously.
I'll do simple decorating: white linens and burlap runners with the confetti, our white or glass platters and then plain old shamrocks everwhere, with some balloon strings in green and white. 
Oh, and Beer. Lot's of it. Shitton.

So that's party numero uno.

The second is going to be bittersweet. It's the Gooses first birthday. Gulp. How on earth has a whole year gone by? Seriously, I can tell you every detail of Thursday October 7th 2010, and yet it's going to be one year ago. Having a baby is like a time-suck. One day you're pregnant, the next your kid is off to college. I mean I'm not quite at college yet, but at this rate, I imagine it won't be long.
Back to the party... We're keeping it super small, just immediate family. We're also keeping it simple, no big themes or crazy amounts of food and treats. But there's a few select things I'm taking very, very seriously. One: balloons. Goose loves balloons...obsessed in fact. So I did a little internet stalking and found some extra large balloons. 72 of 'em. I'm either gonna spend a bajillion hours blowing them up or find a local place to do the job, but only if it's cheapo. Two: streamers. Everywhere. 'Nuff said. Three: cake. My little boy has inherited his parents addiction for all things chocolate and cakey, so his cake is muy importante. I wanted to do balloons and streamers in rainbow colors and do a rainbow layer cake, but M said rainbows are "too girly" and that our little guy should have a more boyish party. So, being that our two parties are a mere week apart, I decided to be smart and go with a green and blue color scheme for the balloons and streamers. That way anything that can be repurposed or is leftover from the Irish Day party (it comes first) can be used the following week for his b-day party. Genius, no? So here's some of my ideas, plans and purchases. 
via (but in blue and green)

He actually loves blueberries, so this could work          via

the banner     via 
in blue and green        via

all those balloons!         via
via

His favorite food is lasagna so that will be the main course, along with other bites here and there. And my homemade chocolate chip cookies are his favorite, so I'll be making those (plus they're a hit with his cousins...and everyone for that matter).
What I'm absolutely most excited about, and the initial reason I bought the jumbo balloons I already mentioned is just to get this pic:
via
I have a very similar basket and I'm so excited to head down to the beach on his actual birthday (I took the day off of work) and take this pic. I'm obsessed and I don't care how stupid we will look walking down to the beach and taking this pic. It's happening.



And that's the lineup, or at least how I hope everything will play out. The parties are 2 and 3 weeks away, so I'll be doing some prep in the meantime and hope to keep you updated. If you have any ideas or advice, feel free to share...I'd love your input!

No comments:

Post a Comment