Friday, June 10, 2011

It's about damn time, Mom...

The Goose is 8 months old. When you’re pregnant or first have a baby, people tell you over and over again to enjoy every second because it all goes too fast. And, if you’re anything like me, you think to yourself, “Yeah, sure. Like it could go any faster than it already does”. But then you actually have a baby. And time really does go faster. And then you understand why those people were trying to warn you. And then you become one of those people. And the cycle continues.

So imagine my surprise when I realized that 6 months had gone by and I had done absolutely nada to fulfill my duties as a Catholic-school-raised-girl-now-responsible-for-raising-a-good-Catholic-boy-Mama (too many dashes?). I couldn’t believe I let all of these months go by without even starting to plan the Goose’s baptism* . Fast forward to tomorrow – Goose’s big day. He’ll be just over 8 months. (Yeahhhh, that’s a tad bit later than normal for a baptism - typically a baby is anywhere from mere weeks, up to about 5 months…although we can’t be the only ones. I found a shitton more christening outfits in the 18-24 month size than I thought I would). Hence, the title of this post.

If I were a good blogger, I would have been keeping you up to speed on all of my plans up until now – the outfit (2, found online here and here), the Godparents (my brother – Uncle P; M’s sister - Aunt J), the church (right around the corner, where we got married), and all the pre- (DIY invitations) and after- (décor, favors, location) party deets. But I’m not a good blogger, so the best I can do is make a promise to give you more info after the day, sometime next week hopefully. Even better, I hope to get to use my camera and take some good photos, but no promises (I’m the mama, so holding a camera during the ceremony and such is kind of a no-no, plus I’ll be running around).

Fingers crossed for good weather!


For those not familiar with Catholic ceremonies/customs here is the legit description of a Baptism. For those who are happy enough with my half assed (but to the point) explanation, keep reading. Generally, a Baptism is a ceremony where a baby is dressed in white, has water poured over his/her head, prayers are said, blessings are made, and a Godfather and Godmother are chosen. Godparents are chosen to “guide” your children spiritually and morally. The water over the head is to “cleanse/rid” the baby of their original sin, which they are born with.
Oh, and there’s usually a party afterwards.
I’m thinking the Catholic Church would disapprove of my definition, but my other thinking is that they’re not checking out the blogs too much, so I’m safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment