Sunday, July 24, 2011

4th of July (just a week or 3 late)

I wish I could say that I grew up with some great tradition for our nation's birthday, but I honestly can't. As a kid it was always a party, obviously, but nothing specific. It always involved sparklers and watching fireworks from a balcony (thanks to the sick NYC skyline view I was lucky enough to have). As a teenager/young adult, it meant day-drinking on the beach, and night-partying anywhere there were fireworks and booze. Sick times, but not exactly something to write home about.
My hope is that I can make this different for the Goose. I'd love to create years of memories and tradition that he'll always look back on. Unfortunately, this year couldn't be the start of such grand traditions because of poor timing. M had to work and had no way to get out of it. And other family and friends weren't really around to make anything big out of the holiday. So me and the Goose hit up one of my closest friends "poolhouse" (aka her parent's waterfront casa with a pool). We kept it simple (no drinkies, no sparklers) but had an overall great day. Though I wish the Goose could've, just for one time, ditched his early bedtime so he could've seen the fireworks. We weren't even close to making it, but I was still so sad that he didn't get the firework "tradition" part of his first Fourth. Next year I'm going to consider pumping him full of sugar to keep him up if need be, haha. Just kidding. Maybe.
Anywho, here's some pics from the day. Almost all of which are of the Goose. Doing nothing.




had to represent mom's homeplace, and where the party was


"Aunt" Mimi and Pheobe, aka Fierce Pheobe.
All I hear when I see this pic is the theme song from MTV's
Rob & Big

"Well let me tell you something 'bout my beessst frieeend"
"Aunt" Kimmy


He's absolutely obsessed with the red handle on this wagon

super blurry (must.buy.proper.landcape.lens). I wish the NYC skyline was  showing on camera like in person


Oh, and remember in this post when I told you I made this cake:

via Glorious Treats

Well, here's how it turned out:






A little burned, but overall I impressed myself and it was delish. And all it took was a little-a-this:


don't mind the mess disaster

The Goose helped by napping



Perhaps my american flag cake could be our Fourth of July tradition?

No comments:

Post a Comment