Monday, August 22, 2011

M's Birthday cake

M and I are both chocoholics. It's actually quite a bad mixture, the two of us together. We're each other's chocolate enablers. It's our little joke, but seriously, it's a problem (can you please, puhleaase believe me when I tell you that AS I TYPE THIS, M is in the kitchen making the two of us vanilla ice cream and reeses PB cups sundaes? Cuz that's what's going on right now, I'm not making it up... and this is a typical nightly occurance).
So when his big day came rolling around and I knew we wouldn't be doing anything terribly special (because last year was the big 3-0 and there was a big party for that being thrown by a severely swollen preggo lady), I decided I would bake him a really special cake. At first, I thought I'd go with some sort of layered cake with colorful layers, but then I realized that vanilla/white cake is not his favorite. And when I really thought about it, cake wasn't even his favorite. He's more of a cookie/brownie/snack type of guy. And then my head suddenly had a little lightbulb over it, because the perfect "cake" had popped into my mind. I immediately remembered something I had seen over on Pinterest (seriously, how did any of us survive before Pinterest?):

(via)
The day before M's birthday, while he was at work, the Goose and I walked to the nearby CVS and picked up some birthday cards and then we hit up the grocery aisle. Cookie dough, Oreos, and brownie mix. Cheeecckkk. Lately, I had been on "bake it from scratch" kick, but we were short on time and had a family party to go to, so we cheated and took the boxed/pre-made route. And I happen to think it turned out even better than it would have from scratch, because sometimes that boxed ish just rocks.
So how did it turn out? Ridiculous is a word that comes to mind. But really, there are no words. 


Obviously, the cake didn't last untouched long enough to make it to its photoshoot. This is literally one day after M's birthday. And only the two of us had been eating from it.
Hi, my name is Katie and I'm a chocoholic.


Best birthday cake ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment